Sunday, November 1, 2009

Homework due 11/4

I finally decided on a project to do with my students. This one combines both Internet searching and Google docs. Since I don't teach a subject like English or Social Studies (I teach various computer classes and I am going to present this lesson to my Computer Applications class), I am going to put them in groups of two and have them search a news story. It will have to be hard news, no tabloids and I decided on no sports either. They can use Yahoo News, Fox News, The New York Times, the BBC or any other news source in that category. They will then create a PowerPoint presentation in Google Docs that will be a minimum of 6 pages (3 pages minimum per team member). A PowerPoint presentation will be perfect because we just started using PowerPoint in class last week. Each team member will also each have to include a picture on one of their slides. I will first review searching for news stories with the class. I will also teach them to insert a picture both as a jpg and also as a link. The good news is that after I had just written up a lesson plan as to how to set up a Google account, I received an e-mail from one of our administrators informing us that all teachers and all students now automatically have Google accounts. We were told what the user names were for the students and the passwords so now I just have to get everyone to log into their new accounts. This will be a great way to introduce the schools new system to my students.

I only see my students every other day so I hope to start this lesson on Tuesday but Thursday at the latest since I’m not sure how long it will take them (I have a wide range of ability/motivation in this class).

No comments:

Post a Comment